Somehow I feel like the speed has been turned up, and I am being dragged along with it.
Now that the preparations for the upcoming holidays are in full swing all over every place my eye rests, I feel some inner need to join in the frantic pressing on to do more, have more, make more, be more.
"Halt!" I must scream to myself.
I must remember that the first season's focus is thanksgiving. The second is actually more of thanksgiving mixed with a large dollop of celebration. I can hardly begin to focus on the thanksgiving if I am carrying on willy-nilly with a frazzled and wild-eyed gaze at all the lists and "to do's" I have set for myself.
So, on that note, I set aside time today and every day to intentionally be grateful and filled up to the top with thanks to my Heavenly Father for all He has done and continues to do in my life.
Here's how He's been filling my tank these past days. I am thankful for:
1. Wisdom: I am slowly learning I cannot do it all. I can only do what God has given me strength and energy to do. The rest either needs to be left undone or finished by someone other than me. That is NOT a bad thing.
2. Phone Calls from Far Away: I got a call this morning from my best friend in the whole world, and though it was not all sunshine and rainbows -- just sharing the needs we both have lightened our loads for the day. Thanks, sweetie!
3. Catalogs: I just love sitting and gazing at all the shiny pretties in the magazines full of holiday bounty that drop in my mailbox every day at this time of year.
4. Freedom: Can't tell you how freeing it is to just sign my name to everything I write now.
5. Epossomundas: This little guy has brought lots of laughter to our home the past couple days. I love these books and would highly recommend them for your young children and early readers.
6. Shopping: Especially shopping on someone else's dollar. My precious MIL called Monday and told me I needed to go get everyone a couple outfits for our Thanksgiving trip with her money. What a precious blessing -- just when I needed it.
7. Cold: I guess for the next few days we are past "free" weather, but what a joy it has been to need a sweater, put extra blankets on the bed, and wear winter slippers.
8. Early Nights: The time change has helped me to rise a little earlier, but it has also encouraged me to get in the bed a good bit sooner. I was in bed and ready to turn out the lights last night before 10pm. For those of you who know the regular night owl I am, this is amazing.
9. Fall Foliage: Finally, we are seeing some turning of the leaves here in our little area. I think I am more grateful for it this year, because it is not so widespread, and I am seeking it out more than in years past.
10. My DP: My darling prince (DP) of a husband is a true joy to my heart. He knows me so well, and I am incredibly grateful to the Lord for hand-picking him just for me. What a treasure.
So, you all know how this works, and if you're new here's the scoop. Several of us have Thursday Thanks Tank posts you can visit here, or here, or possibly even here.
If you'd like to do your own, please feel free to take the button and post it on your site. If you'd just like to share your own list of thanks in my comments, by all means, do that! I'd love to share in the joys of how God is choosing to fill your tank.
Have a great "thanks-filled" day!!