Monday, April 2, 2007
Mish Mash and All That
Nothing really cohesive going on here. I've been flitting and fluttering this way and that lately. One moment I am faithful, strong, and steadfast. The next I am griping, grumpy, and faithless. I want to do right. I want to be good. Yet, the rewards seem so far out there. I struggle. I fail. I miss the mark. (I know you're probably thinking, "So, don't we all?")

Yet, I desire to be firm, to hold fast to my convictions, to finally feel able to have others follow the Jesus in me. I barely feel like I am making any head way in this journey much of the time, though I pray, I read, and I regularly meet with other believers on the path with me.

Our pastor spoke on heaven last night, and he asked at the beginning of his message how many of us were ready to go there right now. A smattering of hands shot up, but more of us were in the next group, "How many of you want to go to heaven some day, just not. right. now?"

That is me all the way. I remember when I had to do the biopsy thing back in Feb. My first thought when I contemplated my mortality was . . . not yet, God. NOT YET!! Why is it that I am so not ready to go to my eternal home, though I know it will be more than I could ever hope or imagine? I want to be with my Father, because I know He is waiting for me. Yet, I can't loosen my grasp on the temporal things in front of me.

Now, I don't mean that I am some material girl who can't let go of all the "things" that I consider treasures here on earth. Very little I own or possess fits into that category at all. I think I've learned via parenthood to hold my "valuables" quite loosely. I've found true joy and fulfillment in the "treasures" that have no monetary value whatsoever. These are a few:

  • The twinkling eyes of my JD Green when he sees me first thing in the morning
  • The sound of my DP's voice when he begins the day, comes home from work, or tells me I am beautiful . . . just one more time.
  • The unabashed, uninhibited laughter of my Sweetcheeks when she is fully enjoying God's creation around her.
  • The cackling of my Libbyline when she has clued into a new "funny" to her.
  • The newfound grace with which Libbyline moves now that she's taken dance.
  • The tenderness found in the mundane routine of bed time, snuggling, praying and sharing from the heart.
I could go on and on, but I hope this paints a bit of a picture of why I struggle with wanting to be with these dear ones and leaving for eternity with my Father in heaven. I want to be with Him, but I can't imagine my life any differently than what is before me day in and day out. The rewards of heaven are but a filmy mist in light of the reality of today.

I watched Elizabeth Edwards interviewed tonight, and I was in tears over her words regarding her cancer and her relationship to her children. She said that the scariest part of her having cancer is having to someday, sooner than she'd planned, have to "tell these sweet children and unbelieveable man goodbye." I am not in her shoes, but my mama's heart, my wifely heart is linked with hers.

Death is a reality for all of us. One other statement from this interview struck a chord with me:

"Everybody who's sitting at this table who isn't going to die, raise your hand."


So true. It is so simple and yet so complex all at once. My prayer is that I would live my life to the fullest each and every day God gives me. Though I want to go to heaven some day, I still have much to do here on earth. May I be a good steward of the days, redeeming the time. (Ephesians 5:18-20)

I'll leave you with a quote. It spoke to my heart today. I pray it resonates with yours as well.

As Jesus stepped into the garden, you were in His prayers.
As Jesus looked into heaven, you were in His vision . . .
His final prayer was about you. His final pain was for you.
His final passion was you.
~Max Lucado


Thanks for hangin' in there with me while my mind wandered and my fingers typed the dribble.

Labels: ,


  Pam fearlessly posted at 4/02/2007 11:00:00 PM  
  5 came and visited



5 Comments:
At Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:24:00 AM, Blogger someone else said...

You have written my thoughts exactly. I am ready to go to Heaven and desire that in the end. But I do enjoy my life and loved ones and want it to go on a bit longer. I think the Lord wants us to value and enjoy the life we have.

 
At Tuesday, April 03, 2007 2:17:00 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

I do not think it bad that one enjoys life so much and the people in it. I think that pleases God to see His children "having a good time" and enjoying a gift He has given to them. I don't think one should feel guilty for that.

I also do not think one should feel guilty when the strong desire and longing "to go home" arises. That is also a pleasure to the Father's heart I'm sure.

I do think one can enjoy this life all the while storing up treasures for heaven... for that is where our home will be.

I just thought of this as I was typing... Perhaps earth is more like our vacation home. A place to spend a short time at, to enjoy, all the while knowing it is not our final destination or place where we "dwell"...

Hmmm... good thoughts to carry me through today and do some "brain chewing" on.

 
At Tuesday, April 03, 2007 3:10:00 PM, Blogger Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Despite what YOU think is "mish mash", this was beautifully put. And, Iw as also thinking of you today when I wrote my post for In Other Words...a reminder for NO FEAR! (((hugs)))

 
At Tuesday, April 03, 2007 9:30:00 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I think it's very understandable, Peach, that we want to stay here with those who are so precious to us. This, after all, is all we know. Heaven is a place we have never seen. I know that in my heart I want to go there (some days it's right away!) - and yet there is that earthly tug.
It comforts me to know that my days were all written before I lived even one. My life is in His very loving hands. I will have all the days He has planned for me. And it will be all right when they are through.
Thank you so much for your comment on my post. I really enjoyed your answer.

 
At Wednesday, April 04, 2007 12:06:00 PM, Blogger GiBee said...

I saw the interview and had the same reaction as you. I thought to my self... "could I possibly be that brave?" And then, I thought ... "I wonder how she feels in the quiet moments, when she's at home, and everyone's gone to bed, and it's still in the house ... and she has time to actually think."

Great post, my friend ... and great thoughts to spark my mind a bit today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Pam


I'm a lover of Jesus, lover of my DP (Darling Prince), and lover of my three blessings: Libbyline(12), Sweetcheeks(9), and John Deere Green(8). I am daily discovering the truth that "only perfect love casts out fear." Come along with me as I post my heart fearlessly.

My Complete Profile


AddThis Feed Button


Kindred Spirits




Places I Visit Fearlessly


  • FamilyLife
  • Focus on the Family
  • Proverbs 31 Ministries
  • Shaohannah's Hope
  • Creating Keepsakes
  • Creative Memories
  • Stampin' Up!

  • Around Blogland
    < SAHM Bloggers >
    Powered by RingSurf



    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring

    Join | List | Random


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    I'm On Board

    Ugandabanner

    braincancerbutton.png
    Photobucket
    Nugget of the Day

    I Said it Fearlessly
    Random Meme
    Saturday Scripture + More Aquarium Shots
    Thinking Blogger Award -- Humbling, Yet Timely
    Thursday Thanks Tank #54
    Saturday Scripture
    Spring Reading Thing 2007
    Welcome!!!!

    That's Behind Me Now
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Site Meter: