Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Throwin' Caution to the Wind: If Money Were No Object

I am currently reading one of the many books that teeter unsteadily on the edge of my nightstand. Books litter the top of my stand, the shelf underneath my stand, the floor underneath the shelf, the 10-12 feet around my stand, the top of my dresser, and spill forth from a basket next to my dresser.

I guess "litter" isn't really the right term, since I abso "tootin'" lutely love books of all shapes, sizes, colors, lengths, and topics.

I have been thoroughly steeped in a series this summer that still has two more books out in front of me, plus the first in the next series about this same family before I am caught up and must await the author's next installment. I've almost consciously been slowing down my voracious habit of reading said books in mere hours so that I might not have to wait too long before the next one is released. I never like to be in that panting at the bookstore mode in which I feel I must tackle the poor, unsuspecting bookseller for the the first copy out of the packing case. Considering the next one comes out August 21, I need to rein myself way in so I don't chomp at the bit too anxiously.

One of the ways I've chosen to scale back on the reading of the aforementioned series of books is to read another author I adore. This title was actually on my Spring Reading Thing, so I am finally fulfilling some of that long ago commitment.

First off, if you've not read anything by Dee Henderson, get thee to Amazon, CBD, or your nearest local bookseller and procure the entire O'Malley Series, because once you start it you won't want to put it down. Nothing is more frustrating to a reader like me than having part of a series available and not being able to finish it when I want to.

Currently reading this particular book, The Witness, by Dee Henderson got me to thinking. In order to not be a spoiler -- I won't mention any names, but two of the main characters inherit an enormously large amount of money.

One of the angles the author begins to address is how your life would be handled differently as a result. She deftly discusses the security issues, the privacy issues, and the mental and physical strain of finding oneself unexpectedly responsible for so much wealth.

So, I got to thinking that age-old question 'What would I do if money were no object?"

Here is my list, silly, practical, and otherwise of what I'd do if money were no object:

1. Pay off all our debt and begin the process of adoption for the child God put on my heart over two years ago.
2. Buy a bigger home that would house that child and any other God would bring our way.
3. Make sure my children were comfortably set to earn any higher education available to them, leaving them a small inheritance in trust to be accessed after they'd reached a responsible age.
4. Donate a great sum of it to my dearest friend, relieving her of any future financial burdens.
5. Travel. Travel. Travel. So much world to see, and I would want to see it all!
6. Stock my library. So many books, so little time. I would have the library Belle was given in the Beauty and the Beast. That's my favorite scene in the whole animated movie.
7. Fast Car. No, not really. I'd probably get one of these. (not just the calendar) I'd have it custom-painted with daisies on the hood and roof.
8. Enable my parents and DP's parents to live comfortably and financially free of any burden for the rest of their earthly days.
9. Take care of our World Vision child, Lilly, through the rest of her young life and into adulthood.
10. I've always said there is something I would indulge in if money were unlimited:

Undergarments for my whole family -- I'd never wear a pair twice. I mean, wouldn't that just be a total indulgence? Take them off and throw them away -- every day. Who likes to wash those anyway?

So, those are some of mine . . . what would you do if you could throw caution to the wind? What dreams would you fulfill? How would you live differently given a large sum to do so? This is kind of like a meme, so take it to your site if you like and let me know. I'll come read yours!

  Pam fearlessly posted at 6/19/2007 03:31:00 PM  
  3 came and visited



3 Comments:
At Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:45:00 PM, Blogger Shalee said...

Oh, I love your dream library idea and your travel plans. You and I are cut from the same cloth, Peach. Well, almost. I don't mind at all wearing the same undies. Seems a bit TOO luxurious to wear something once and then to toss it. The frugal side of me just can't even imagine it!

 
At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:19:00 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

I love both Dee Henderson and Karen Kingsbury. I have yet to start that series by Karen. So many books. If money were no object I'd lock myself in that dream library for a month with a coffee pot and just read and read.

 
At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:25:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Have you ever read any of the Sisterchicks books? If you desire to travel the world, I think you would like these books. They really take you there and inspire you at the same time. I love you and miss you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Pam


I'm a lover of Jesus, lover of my DP (Darling Prince), and lover of my three blessings: Libbyline(12), Sweetcheeks(9), and John Deere Green(8). I am daily discovering the truth that "only perfect love casts out fear." Come along with me as I post my heart fearlessly.

My Complete Profile


AddThis Feed Button


Kindred Spirits




Places I Visit Fearlessly


  • FamilyLife
  • Focus on the Family
  • Proverbs 31 Ministries
  • Shaohannah's Hope
  • Creating Keepsakes
  • Creative Memories
  • Stampin' Up!

  • Around Blogland
    < SAHM Bloggers >
    Powered by RingSurf



    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring

    Join | List | Random


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    I'm On Board

    Ugandabanner

    braincancerbutton.png
    Photobucket
    Nugget of the Day

    I Said it Fearlessly
    Happy Father's Day!
    Thursday Thanks Tank #59
    Mama Math
    I Blog . . . Therefore I am . . . or Not!
    Sunday Scripture
    Fearless Friday -- What is FEAR?
    Reasons Why I love Him --He Fills My Tank
    I've Been At It Again!
    Lazy Days
    Sunday Scripture

    That's Behind Me Now
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Site Meter: