Monday, June 4, 2007
Lazy Days

That's the title of this painting, too. Lazy Days.

I personally love days in which we have no strict schedule, yet we hover around a loose framework that keeps this mama from going insane.

Today has been one of those days.

We scrapped our original intent to restock our stash of strawberries after calling and finding out the patch isn't open again until tomorrow. Waiting on Mother Nature is probably a good thing in this instance.

So, then we lazed around for awhile, doing the things around the house that keep the dust bunnies from attacking and headed on over to the library.

A couple hours later we emerged victorious, loaded down with yummy reads for just about everyone. Can you tell I'm a self-professed bibliophile? Yes, I am one of those people who deeply inhale and borderline swoon at the entrance of a library, Barnes and Noble, Borders, McKay's, or any other establishment that houses multiple shelves of books.

I have always loved books. I remember summers as a child, reading page after page -- fulfilling and exceeding the commitments I made to the summer reading program in my own small town library. We kept track of pages then, and I usually hung in the neighborhood of 2000-3000 pages per summer -- even in fourth or fifth grade.

Libbyline has inherited my love of the written word. She took out a stack of books today, came home and headed for "siesta" -- a prescribed rest/quiet time I instituted in our home three or four years ago when my youngest outgrew napping. She emerged 2 1/2 hours later, victoriously proclaiming her completion of THREE books!! She devoured three 107 page books during siesta!

I love to do the very same thing when I have the chance. I rarely have opportunity anymore to read without interruption or without caring for my family around me. Yet, I have done so, and with great relish in the past six weeks or so. Here are a few of the books I've "devoured" recently: (I'm sure you'll quickly see a pattern here)

Divine
by Karen Kingsbury
Redemption by Karen Kingsbury
Remember by Karen Kingsbury
Return by Karen Kingsbury
Rejoice by Karen Kingsbury
Reunion by Karen Kingsbury
Fame by Karen Kingsbury
Forgiven by Karen Kingsbury
The Angel Inside by Chris Widener
This Isn't the Life I Signed Up For . . . But I'm Finding Hope and Healing by Donna Partow
Emotional Phases of a Woman's Life by Jean Lush (re-reading pertinent parts)
Get Out of That Pit by Beth Moore (finishing up this week)
Last, but not least . . . God's Word (hiding it in my heart and that of my family).

Like I said when I returned to blogging, most of the books I've read this spring were NOT on my list of scheduled reads for Katrina's Spring Reading Thing. I know I'm even forgetting some others that I read along the way, in addition to the multiple issues of Southern Living, Creating Keepsakes, Better Homes and Gardens, and other assorted periodicals that I've perused this spring.

In addition to all that, I also took a little time to read Paula Deen's biography -- parts of it out loud to my family on one of our jaunts to Knoxville/Maryville so DP could attend graduate classes. I edited a great deal along the way due to the racy nature of Miss Paula's recounting of her life, but the woman is doggone funny!! She tickles my funny bone in a way few do anymore. Her silly sense of humor and relish for food and life itself make me chuckle just thinking about it right now. The recipes she includes in the book are worth the read in and of itself.

So, that's a bit of what keeps me occupied when I'm not chained to my washer or preparing yet another gourmet meal (my kids had frozen corn dogs tonight, I had a handful of dry roasted peanuts, and DP had to scrounge through the fridge for whatever he could find at 9:30 pm).

I would have reviewed all the Kingsbury books for you, but the fact that I read and will continue to read everything she's written is testimony enough; you can read official reviews at her site.

Guess where I'm headed? Off to read another book! I got my own stack out at the library today, too.

Labels: ,


  Pam fearlessly posted at 6/04/2007 05:11:00 PM  
  4 came and visited



4 Comments:
At Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:17:00 AM, Blogger Donnetta said...

I am not surprised that once again we have something in common! ;-)

I, too, love books. I could read for hours on end without remembering there is a world around me.

Unfortunately, I never seem to have the time anymore. Maybe now that I'll be home more I will incorporate a "reading hour" into our days for some time for us all to sit and enjoy a book or two!

I'm so thrilled for you that you are finding a bit of time to get a page or two in!!

 
At Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:52:00 AM, Blogger Linds said...

I love reading too. I always have done, and I can't settle without a pile of books nearby. I haven't read the ones on your list, so will look out for some of them here too.
Siesta time sounds a great idea. I wish I had thought of that when mine were small!

 
At Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:07:00 PM, Blogger GiBee said...

I absolutely love, love, LOVE to read ... but ever since I've had Hunter, I never have a free moment long enough to read more than the first sentence in a paragraph ... if I'm lucky. I can blog from work, but I can't read from work.

And, my son isn't displaying a love for all things booky. Last night, I tried to read him a book, and after the first page, he climbed off of the bed and ran off, which caused me to drop the book and run after him, and bring him back, start all over again, and ... well, you see my frustration!

In fact, I've taken to reading the Bible and a couple other books I'm reading in the ... are your ready for this? the bathroom. Yup! Sad but true, and I'll even be posting about it some time soon!

I keep waiting for Hunter to turn the corner and a) LOVE BOOKS, and b) entertain himself long enough for me to read a chapter at a time. What??? A girl can dream, cant she?

 
At Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:17:00 PM, Blogger Barb said...

OK, that's it. I need to discover Karen Kingsbury. I see her books everywhere and have no idea why I've never read any of her works.

Paula Deen's biography was a fast read for me last month - I couldn't put it down. She's so funny, true, but her story is an amazing story of courage and strength.

My book is even more valuable to me now that Susan and Blessed Assurances took it to a Paula Deen event she attended and had Paula autograph it for me.

She's right up there with Erma Bombeck in my book - one of my heroes.

Can't think of a better way to spend a lazy summer. Books, books and more books. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Pam


I'm a lover of Jesus, lover of my DP (Darling Prince), and lover of my three blessings: Libbyline(12), Sweetcheeks(9), and John Deere Green(8). I am daily discovering the truth that "only perfect love casts out fear." Come along with me as I post my heart fearlessly.

My Complete Profile


AddThis Feed Button


Kindred Spirits




Places I Visit Fearlessly


  • FamilyLife
  • Focus on the Family
  • Proverbs 31 Ministries
  • Shaohannah's Hope
  • Creating Keepsakes
  • Creative Memories
  • Stampin' Up!

  • Around Blogland
    < SAHM Bloggers >
    Powered by RingSurf



    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring

    Join | List | Random


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    I'm On Board

    Ugandabanner

    braincancerbutton.png
    Photobucket
    Nugget of the Day

    I Said it Fearlessly
    Sunday Scripture
    Fearless Friday: In Which I Prattle on About No Fear
    Thursday Thanks Tank #58
    Fearless Friday -- Truly WITHOUT Fear
    Thursday Thanks Tank #57
    Walking Away
    Fearless Friday --I am NOT Afraid. Well, Maybe Not
    Prayer: It Can Change Everything
    For Heather . . .
    Fearless Friday -- In Which I Post a Quote about Fear

    That's Behind Me Now
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Site Meter: