Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Ok, So We Didn't Do Math Yesterday . . .
As a homeschooling mom there are days when I chide myself greatly for not covering all the material I think we "should" be covering. I beat myself up and wonder if I am jeopardizing my children's education by using the DIY (do-it-yourself) method.

Yesterday was NOT one of those days. Let me run it through with you.

First, I had a head-to-head run in with my almost 9-year-old. I swear sometimes this child has the emotions and hormones of a much older person, but I digress . . .

By 9 am, Sweetcheeks was in tears on the floor and out came spilling her confusion about salvation, her misunderstanding of when, where, and how she could pray, and what she needed to do to know Jesus was close to her at all times.

We talked at great lengths about assurance of salvation, knowing that Jesus means it when He promises to come into your heart, and discussing how praying is just talking to Jesus like with any friend or family member she already sees every day.

After many tears and hugs, we finally came to a place of peace and a joyful outlook for the rest of the day. Sweetcheeks thanked me over and over, right up 'til bedtime for helping her to understand better what it means to talk with Jesus and work on Him being her closest friend.

Sweetcheeks was certainly not to be my only child with a need for focused attention this day.

JD Green spent much of the day pushing the limits on all fronts . . . so much so that by the time his daddy arrived home from work, the mama was horizontal.

Lying, disobedience, and defiance had become the operative words of the day in reference to my young son. Dinner was no exception. So, after being relegated to his room with no dinner and an order to don pajamas for the night, JD was steeped in his bad choices. Sin is no comical companion and JD was sensing the error of his ways.

His downcast eyes and morose countenance were screaming his need for repentance when I entered his room to tuck him in for the night. Knowing from experience how lonely wallowing in my own sin can be, I asked him if he felt lonely after being by himself since dinner.

Well, the dam broke loose and my little boy came face to face with grace and mercy. He cried, asked to be forgiven, and then he prayed and asked Jesus to clean his heart and make it new again.

He also prayed that Satan would be sent far, far away from him so he could be a good boy instead of disobeying.

JD learned yesterday that choosing to ask for forgiveness was far better than staying in his own sin. He learned that the same person that teaches him to count by two's in English and Spanish is the same person who can help him come before the God of the Universe and restore his relationship, bringing about a peace that shone all over his face when we were finished.

So, no math was done at our house -- at least not in workbooks. The problems were dealt with in the hearts, and my children have added to their knowledge of who Jesus is in their every day lives.

I'm not worried at all about what we "should" be doing. We're doing kingdom work that will last a lifetime.

Here are our Homeschooling Key Verses:

Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still;
teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." Proverbs 9:9-10 (NIV)


I think we achieved our school goal yesterday.

Labels: , , ,


  Pam fearlessly posted at 8/21/2007 03:29:00 PM  
  3 came and visited



3 Comments:
At Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:12:00 PM, Blogger Shalee said...

Although your kids have a much greater understanding about Jesus and the grace of God (fault is mine and Mr. Right), the boy prayed that he would learn to not lie. That my friends is a huge step in the right direction!

Don't give up Peach. Though these days are tough, the rewards are going to be that they are treasures in heaven.

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:53:00 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I would say those were lessons of eternal value. How precious those times are Peach. I kept thinking how if they had been in a classroom you all would have missed out on so much. You're doing a great job!!

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2007 10:06:00 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

I think skipping math is ok...we have days like that where I teach too...God would much rather us work on the heart...as math will still be there tomorrow

Hang in there...I had to chuckle at the horizontal part...I have one doing that today and i was at school...needless to say the ride home was quiet

blessings and hugs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Pam


I'm a lover of Jesus, lover of my DP (Darling Prince), and lover of my three blessings: Libbyline(12), Sweetcheeks(9), and John Deere Green(8). I am daily discovering the truth that "only perfect love casts out fear." Come along with me as I post my heart fearlessly.

My Complete Profile


AddThis Feed Button


Kindred Spirits




Places I Visit Fearlessly


  • FamilyLife
  • Focus on the Family
  • Proverbs 31 Ministries
  • Shaohannah's Hope
  • Creating Keepsakes
  • Creative Memories
  • Stampin' Up!

  • Around Blogland
    < SAHM Bloggers >
    Powered by RingSurf



    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring

    Join | List | Random


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    I'm On Board

    Ugandabanner

    braincancerbutton.png
    Photobucket
    Nugget of the Day

    I Said it Fearlessly
    Music Meme
    Fearless Friday #13
    Thursday Thanks Tank #68
    Happy Birthday #2 O' Blog
    Women Of Faith -- Part One
    Fearless Friday #12
    Thursday Thanks Tank #67
    100 or More Things about Me
    Out of the Mouths of . . .
    Sunday Scripture

    That's Behind Me Now
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Site Meter: