Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Chores: More Like a Carnival . . . RIDE

I'm going to join in with my two cents of what has and hasn't worked over my past 10 or so years of trying to get my children to help around the house.


I am on the crest of something that is currently working for me, so I feel incredibly confident right now . . . just don't hold me to this for posterity because I know not when it will blow up in my face.

I actually came up with this system in the dark at our head-bangin' extremely contemporary evening church service one night a few months ago. We go to XL every week, and I sometimes find myself making lists during the music.

My chore chart came at one such time.

We have three children. For years I've unsuccessfully engaged them in the process of doing chores. I've devised numerous charts, used some, ditched others, and finally unearthed one similar to this one that I paid the same price for at least five years ago.

I decided to have a rotation of responsibilities that cover six days of our week.

Three children=two rotations of the chores each week, leaving Sunday as an "everybody pitches in" kind of day.

They each have three main chores each day, including those from this list:


We tried doing allowance, but the whole idea of giving allowance for living and breathing in our house truly rattled me to my core. So, for basic tasks like making beds, keeping bed rooms tidy, and other livelihood items that allow them to comfortably function in my home -- they earn no money.

On the chore chart above, they get "Commission" for the chores they actually accomplish each day. We tally it through out the week and pay for jobs well done each Saturday. We offer a quarter per chore per day, with each child able to earn a maximum of $4.50 for basic chores per week.

If the chores are forgotten or not done to my satisfaction, a commission is not earned AND the chore gets left open for another sibling to come in and take over the commission for doing the task cheerfully and efficiently.

Fines are also a part of this system. If the child is disrespectful regarding doing an assigned chore or puts off an assigned task, a quarter is fined for each infraction.

We've been tweaking this system for awhile, but what has really sent my spirit soaring is the addition of this to our system. I cannot speak highly enough about Dave Ramsey or the products he's created and marketed. We got in on a great deal for our kids and scored two of these boxed kits for the price of one. They have now taken over our refrigerator, and our children are excited about seeing their money grow!

So, that's my take on the whole idea of chores. I can't wait to see what others have to say on this volatile and crazy subject for parents.

Don't forget to sign up over at Melanie's to join in on the carnival today!

Labels: , , , ,


  Pam fearlessly posted at 9/12/2007 11:57:00 PM  
  4 came and visited



4 Comments:
At Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:42:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

i LOVE listening to dave on the radio (920am where i'm at)... i am gonna get my hands on this asap.

you see, for the past two weeks or so, i started to fine the kids for whining and fighting. it's getting out of control... allowances never settled with me either. instead, they could earn it doing other things which has turned out to be fun.

but gracious me, you took the words right out of my mouth. i feel like i am dealing with the same things here. thanks peach. i hope you don't mind, but i am printing this out, putting it in my notebook and going to mull it over to see how i can make it work here. awesome suggestions!!!

and ps - wow, that xl church looks amazing!! my son would love it.

 
At Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot about Dave Ramsey, but I've not actually HEARD him. ;) Thanks for turning me on to his kit.

And thanks for joining the carnival. Excellent info, my friend. Give the kids hugs from Chili.

 
At Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:14:00 PM, Blogger Jane Anne said...

I missed seeing this post yesterday but I am so I read past the Thanks Tank post today. My husband and I were just talking last night about how to handle chores/rewarding work with money/allowance. I appreciate all you wrote and I am looking forward to checking out the Dave Ramsey products. Thanks for sharing and giving me more to think about.

 
At Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:51:00 PM, Blogger An Ordinary Mom said...

I like how you call it commission and not allowance :) !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Pam


I'm a lover of Jesus, lover of my DP (Darling Prince), and lover of my three blessings: Libbyline(12), Sweetcheeks(9), and John Deere Green(8). I am daily discovering the truth that "only perfect love casts out fear." Come along with me as I post my heart fearlessly.

My Complete Profile


AddThis Feed Button


Kindred Spirits




Places I Visit Fearlessly


  • FamilyLife
  • Focus on the Family
  • Proverbs 31 Ministries
  • Shaohannah's Hope
  • Creating Keepsakes
  • Creative Memories
  • Stampin' Up!

  • Around Blogland
    < SAHM Bloggers >
    Powered by RingSurf



    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring

    Join | List | Random


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    I'm On Board

    Ugandabanner

    braincancerbutton.png
    Photobucket
    Nugget of the Day

    I Said it Fearlessly
    Wordless Wednesday -- Pow Wow
    The Fragility of Life . . . A Homecoming
    Weekend Wisdom
    Thursday Thanks Tank #71
    Works-For-Me Wednesday -- Brand Loyal Edition
    My MIL (Mother-In Love) Says
    Sunday Scripture
    You've Got To See This . . . You've Got Gmail
    Fearless Friday #15
    Thursday Thanks Tank #70

    That's Behind Me Now
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Site Meter: