Thursday, April 19, 2007
Prayer: It Can Change Everything
Rarely do I ever post about the news or what's happening in the news on this blog. Yet, I could not allow this moment to go by without encouraging y'all to do something and take one step of faith like this young woman. This same young woman that I once helped hunt Easter eggs. I think the last time I saw Laura Rainey, she was 10. Now, with one step of faith -- she is helping to mobilize thousands to change the world. Her daddy was once my boss, and I turn my blog over to him now with pleasure. Please read and decide how you can be involved.

Prayer is powerful and one step of faith can change everything. Take your step . . . now!

Tragedy at Virginia Tech - A Call to Prayer

April 18, 2007

FamilyLife President, Dennis Rainey
Windows Media Audio Listen to Dennis Rainey's Call to Prayer for Virginia Tech and the Supreme Court's ruling to uphold the ban on partial birth abortion.

Just one step of faith, that's all it took. Just one step of faith.

Yesterday my cell phone rang in the middle of the day. It was my daughter Laura. Nothing unusual about that.

What was unusual about the call was that my normally upbeat, positive daughter (a senior, just a month away from graduating from college) was down, and in a "funk."

All because of the Virginia Tech massacre on Monday morning.

She wanted to do something.

As we talked, I read Laura a portion of the words from President Bush's address at the special service held at Virginia Tech on the day after the shootings. In his message the President quoted Romans 12:21:

"These sources of strength are also in the faith that sustains so many of us. Across the town of Blacksburg and in towns all across America, houses of worship from every faith have opened their doors and have lifted you up in prayer. People who have never met you are praying for you; they're praying for your friends who have fallen and who are injured. There's a power in these prayers, real power. In times like this, we can find comfort in the grace and guidance of a loving God. As the Scriptures tell us, ‘Don't be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.'"

In our conversation I encouraged Laura to turn her grief heavenward and pray for those who have been impacted by evil.

Then I re-read Romans 12:21 to her: "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Laura replied, "But I'm just a college student, what could I do? I live off campus. I'm not in a dorm or sorority house on campus. What can I do?"

Reflecting on Laura's response, I think that most of us feel that way … I'm just a dad … or a mom … what can I do? The enemy of our souls loves it when we think this way. Doubt gives way to unbelief and ultimately results in paralysis. I'm reminded of British statesman Edmund Burke's warning, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

But a follower of Jesus Christ is more than "just" a college student, a dad, a mom. God made us to be children of the King who are empowered by Him to push back against the forces of evil that seek to destroy us and take away our hope.

The Scripture gives us resolute purpose: "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

I then challenged Laura to take the lead with a few student leaders on campus to join with her and organize a campus-wide prayer meeting Thursday for the Virginia Tech students, faculty and families.

There was silence on the phone.

After a few moments, my adventuresome, "go for it" daughter, Laura, declared, "I got it! I'm on it! I'll do it!"

I had a few more words of encouragement and we said goodbye. I concluded by asking her to keep me posted on what was going on.

Ten minutes later I was in a meeting and my cell phone rang. It was Laura. She had contacted her friend Ben, a fired-up Christ follower, as well as student leaders of various campus ministries. They all were "on it!" The campus-wide prayer meeting was scheduled at an outdoor amphitheater on campus for Thursday at 7 p.m. I told her how excited I was for her and the other students.

I jumped back in to my meeting and another ten minutes later the phone rang again. This time Laura told me that she had just sent the following e-mail to 12 student leaders on campuses across the country who are participating in an internship with her at The Falls Church in Falls Church, Va., beginning this fall:

All across the country students are feeling sad about the loss of life at Virginia Tech, and also thinking that it could have been me. I know I have thought that a couple of times while on campus today. I know that all of us have been and are praying for the students and families of Virginia Tech. I have called several of my friends and we are getting together on Thursday night at 7:00 to have a time of prayer for the students, families, faculty, and everyone that has been affected because of this tragedy. I just wanted to throw this out there to see if you all would get together with your friends and fellow students, on your campus and pray together on Thursday. Our God is powerful and He can and will turn this evil into good!

I responded with a "Wow" and told Laura, "You go, girl!"

In the midst of all this, I thought of my friend and comrade, Mark Gauthier, the national director of the Campus Ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ. So I wrote him and shared with him what Laura and students were doing on her campus.

Mark was pumped! So pumped that last night he sent an e-mail out to four thousand full time staff and student leaders on more than a thousand campuses here in the U.S. and even more in over 100 countries of the world.

By 8 a.m. today, Mark's inbox had over 200 responses from campus leaders all over the world, saying they will be calling for a campus-wide Call to Prayer for Virginia Tech. In fact, I was just told that the e-mails are streaming in so fast they can't keep up. Spiritually and virally, this thing has taken off with responses from London, East Asia, New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Italy, Sweden, and even North Africa (where three Virginia Tech grads lead the ministry). Many more will join.

Another group of college students who use Facebook online have responded by establishing a Facebook group to pray for Virginia Tech. Somehow mother's groups and churches have received the e-mail and they are calling for prayer. And another e-mail was sent to the leaders of other national campus ministry groups (Navigators, Intervarsity, Impact, etc.) inviting them to lead and call their students to prayer tomorrow. Bill Pugh, national director of Athletes in Action, has written his leaders on several hundred campuses and many of those will be rallying students on their campus to pray.

I started forwarding e-mails to Laura this morning from all over the world and I just got off the phone with her. I told her how proud I was of her for taking one step of faith and saying "I'll do it!" I told her that her step of faith helped create something much bigger than anything we would have imagined. All she could say was "Wow! God is indeed powerful."

Wow, indeed.

As I write this, I am about to go into the studio to tell the story on our broadcast tomorrow and challenge several hundred thousand moms and dad, husbands and wives, and singles to join with us. I also decided to send this letter out to you, along with more than 165,000 stakeholders in FamilyLife all around the world, encouraging you and your family to join in the Call to Prayer. And take a step of faith and challenge at least one other person to do the same:

Find information about the tragedy and updates on how you can pray at Campus Crusade for Christ’s website dedicated to the tragedy at Virginia Tech. If you have any children in college, call and challenge them to organize a Call to Prayer for Virginia Tech tomorrow. Send them this e-mail. They'll know how to get more information on Facebook.

And if you are unable to get a group together to pray, just pray where you are. Prayer is portable—you can join the movement tomorrow at lunch or at the dinner table with your family. But pray.

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

Dennis
Dennis

Labels: , , ,


  Pam fearlessly posted at 4/19/2007 12:02:00 AM  
  6 came and visited



6 Comments:
At Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:11:00 AM, Blogger Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Oh, Peach! That's amazing. The power of one and the power of THE One! Amen! Those poor folks at VT...may God be glorified in all that they are doing in the aftermath!

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:44:00 AM, Blogger Praise and Coffee said...

Awesome!!!! How inspiring!!

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:20:00 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Wow, Peach. Just wow.

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:06:00 AM, Blogger Shalee said...

And here is your first step of overcoming evil with good. Thanks for posting his entire post, Peach. I would have known nothing about how it started.

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2007 1:54:00 PM, Blogger Linda said...

We just studied in our Bible Study yesterday the power of praying together. This is just wonderful. Prayer is so powerful.

 
At Friday, April 20, 2007 2:12:00 PM, Blogger GiBee said...

Thank you, Peach, for letting God move through your willingness to share this! I am praying... I am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Pam


I'm a lover of Jesus, lover of my DP (Darling Prince), and lover of my three blessings: Libbyline(12), Sweetcheeks(9), and John Deere Green(8). I am daily discovering the truth that "only perfect love casts out fear." Come along with me as I post my heart fearlessly.

My Complete Profile


AddThis Feed Button


Kindred Spirits




Places I Visit Fearlessly


  • FamilyLife
  • Focus on the Family
  • Proverbs 31 Ministries
  • Shaohannah's Hope
  • Creating Keepsakes
  • Creative Memories
  • Stampin' Up!

  • Around Blogland
    < SAHM Bloggers >
    Powered by RingSurf



    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring

    Join | List | Random


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    I'm On Board

    Ugandabanner

    braincancerbutton.png
    Photobucket
    Nugget of the Day

    I Said it Fearlessly
    For Heather . . .
    Fearless Friday -- In Which I Post a Quote about Fear
    Request, Update, and Thursday Thanks Tank #56
    I'd Be OK!
    Hallelujah! He is Risen!!!
    Waiting . . .
    Urgent Prayer Request
    Thursday Thanks Tank #55
    Mish Mash and All That
    Random Meme

    That's Behind Me Now
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Site Meter: