Monday, July 2, 2007
Storms . . . in a Good Way

***This post is one of my first from August 2005. We've been having a few "thunder boomers" around here lately, but nothing like what I experienced on the coast. I love the power God exerts over His creation via the storms He allows us to witness.

We had the coolest thing happen the other night. We live in a town that gets more than the average share of lightning and thunder. I've never seen a place that lights up like this one. So, while my DH was out running errands during a storm -- it was only thunder and lightning, no rain -- I gathered all three kids, and we watched the storm.

Libbyline was fascinated by all the colors that were illuminated by the flashes of lightning. Sweetcheeks was caught up in the cloud formations, and John Deere Green had a grand time trying to outdo the claps of thunder that seemed to shake our windows silly.

I am a writer by trade, but have joked that I've been suffering from a 10-year writer's block. I seemed to have used up all my creative, journalistic brain cells in making babies -- leaving very few for any current or future epics. So, when I got a burst of creativity during this storm, I jumped on it and wrote it down in a spiral notebook in the dark. I did it in the dark by the light of the storm so as to not spoil the moment. Here's what I came up with:

Flashes lighting up the sky
Thunder rumbles--
Sky so bright.
Dark and brooding-
'Tis really night?
Thunder crashes--
Sky so bright.
Lightning crackles
Blinking and winking
Across the sky.
Songs played out
Among dancing lights.

Flashes now slight,
Moving away,
Dark the night.
Raindrops dot the sky --
Sky so bright.
Thunder rumbles--
Returns to night.

Day break comes.
Dawning light
Washed with dew.
Gone the night.
Fresh from storms
Desperate night.
Welcome morning,
Welcome light.


It's far from Shakespeare or John Donne, but it captured what we were watching and experiencing at the time. I love storms--especially when I know we're inside and relatively safe. We found out later on our local news that our area had over 500 strikes of lightning in a less than two hour period. I was thrilled to have been privy to it!! God has a way of letting us in on His majesty, and I hope I take the time to truly enjoy it and include my children in it.

Have a great Monday!

  Pam fearlessly posted at 7/02/2007 08:24:00 AM  
  2 came and visited



2 Comments:
At Monday, July 02, 2007 12:02:00 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

WOW... what a storm that must have been! I must say your writing has not completely left! That was very good!

We've yet to have a good thunderstorm yet this year.

 
At Monday, July 02, 2007 2:53:00 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I can't seem to make the photos on your blog come up but I did see this photo in bloglines before I clicked over here. Did you actually TAKE that photo? My word, it's awesome!

As is what you wrote. And you may have written this back in '05 but your talent hasn't left you by any means. I enjoy reading everything you write. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Pam


I'm a lover of Jesus, lover of my DP (Darling Prince), and lover of my three blessings: Libbyline(12), Sweetcheeks(9), and John Deere Green(8). I am daily discovering the truth that "only perfect love casts out fear." Come along with me as I post my heart fearlessly.

My Complete Profile


AddThis Feed Button


Kindred Spirits




Places I Visit Fearlessly


  • FamilyLife
  • Focus on the Family
  • Proverbs 31 Ministries
  • Shaohannah's Hope
  • Creating Keepsakes
  • Creative Memories
  • Stampin' Up!

  • Around Blogland
    < SAHM Bloggers >
    Powered by RingSurf



    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring

    Join | List | Random


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    I'm On Board

    Ugandabanner

    braincancerbutton.png
    Photobucket
    Nugget of the Day

    I Said it Fearlessly
    Scripture Sunday
    Fearless Friday
    Thursday Thanks Tank #61
    Dining Out Meme
    Thursday Thanks Tank #60
    Random Tidbits
    Throwin' Caution to the Wind: If Money Were No Object
    Happy Father's Day!
    Thursday Thanks Tank #59
    Mama Math

    That's Behind Me Now
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Site Meter: