Friday, October 19, 2007
Fearless Friday #20


"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity,
but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7 (NIV)



I think about fear so often when riding or walking around the local college campus. The acreage is teeming with wildlife, especially deer. I am not fearful, but I watch the reactions of the deer whose home I am attempting to share as I drive or hike past.

Those who have been around for years are docile, calm, and sociable -- if that is a deer characteristic. They do not run when vehicles approach. They do not interrupt their dinner or hurry their young away from the eyes of onlookers. Fawns usually run for cover, but it takes very little time before their skittish behavior becomes one of nonchalance and unwavering boldness.

How too can I become less fearful? Remembering the verse above is a good beginning. That was the theme verse for my study in Overcoming Fear these past two weeks.

Ms. Feinberg encourages the reader to go back and re-visit some fears from childhood as well as identifying some different types of fears found in Scripture. I found this a helpful exercise, especially looking at Psalm 91:5-10.

My God will protect me (and you) and have His angels take charge over (us). He says that no evil will take me down or come near my dwelling. In Him, I am safe.

Margaret says this:

"Not only does fear limit your ability to place your faith in God,
but if left unchecked, fear can also actually cause you to pull back from your relationship with God, choose to sin, and miss out on God's best for your life."

I wholeheartedly agree. I know I've had times in my life in which I have cowered and hidden rather than to stand boldly before God's throne of grace. I was steeped in sin and fear of the unknown. I missed out on His blessing, because I was too worried about what He would think of me and my actions.

What I am continuing to realize in my walk with God is that He is who He says He is. He is unchanging. He is compassionate. He is available to me. He does love me with an everlasting love. The better I get to know Him, the less I find fear guiding and directing my actions.

Now, fear still rears its ugly head more frequently than I'd like. This verse comes to mind in this area for me:

"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back."
Philippians 3:12-14 (MSG)


I'm going to leave you today with a question from the study.

Thinking on the theme verse from this lesson (2 Timothy 1:7), have you ever experienced a moment when God took away a spirit of fear and replaced it with His spirit of "power, of love, and of a sound mind?" How did that experience affect your faith? Your relationships? Your attitude toward God?

Let's all continue to walk each moment, each step of this journey of faith "Without Fear". I am excited to see how God releases us from the bondage that fear brings and encourages us to walk in freedom with Him as we get to know Him better and better.

I welcome all comments and discussion on this topic. Don't hesitate to email me if you'd like to chat further.

FEAR= False Evidence Appearing Real

Labels: , , ,


  Pam fearlessly posted at 10/19/2007 12:43:00 PM  
  4 came and visited



4 Comments:
At Saturday, October 20, 2007 8:01:00 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

Great encouragemnet, Peach! I think fear of the unknown is a biggy with me. So is fear of lack. I love where you said "In Him I am safe" That truly is the key, being in Him!

 
At Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:58:00 AM, Blogger Eyvonne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Sunday, October 21, 2007 9:00:00 AM, Blogger Eyvonne said...

Great post!

He has taken away my 'spirit' of fear. And, as Susanne said, the key is being in Him.

~Eyvonne
http://powerlovesoundmind.blogspot.com/

 
At Sunday, October 21, 2007 9:47:00 PM, Blogger Linda said...

A couple of years ago, when my worst nightmare came true I had to make the very difficult choice to trust Him. I was - as silly as it sounds - afraid to trust Him; afraid He would make me walk a path I didn't want to take. It wasn't until I surrendered control and trusted absolutley that fear subsided (I still have to fight it on occassion - I too am still a work in progress) and peace came.
This was a wonderful post Peach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Pam


I'm a lover of Jesus, lover of my DP (Darling Prince), and lover of my three blessings: Libbyline(12), Sweetcheeks(9), and John Deere Green(8). I am daily discovering the truth that "only perfect love casts out fear." Come along with me as I post my heart fearlessly.

My Complete Profile


AddThis Feed Button


Kindred Spirits




Places I Visit Fearlessly


  • FamilyLife
  • Focus on the Family
  • Proverbs 31 Ministries
  • Shaohannah's Hope
  • Creating Keepsakes
  • Creative Memories
  • Stampin' Up!

  • Around Blogland
    < SAHM Bloggers >
    Powered by RingSurf



    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring

    Join | List | Random


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    I'm On Board

    Ugandabanner

    braincancerbutton.png
    Photobucket
    Nugget of the Day

    I Said it Fearlessly
    Thursday Thanks Tank #77
    Thursday Thanks Tank #76
    More Hobbit Shots
    "The Hobbit" . . . and Life Lessons
    Fearless Friday #19
    Thursday Thanks Tank #75
    Look What I Got . . .
    Ahhh . . .ctober (October)
    Sunday Scripture
    Fearless Friday #18

    That's Behind Me Now
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Image from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Site Meter: